Carbon Monoxide (CO2) – How to Stop the Invisible Indoor Killer Published on February 11, 2015 According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often linked to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces. Why is CO2 awareness so important? Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO2 exposure is a matter of life and death. CO2 is tops when ranking leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Kitchener homeowner. Severe poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue. Steps you can take to reduce the CO2 risk in your Kitchener home? If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can contact Hammond Plumbing & Heating to purchase one today. Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years. If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary. *emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.