Prevention is the most important place to start. Doing correct safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in Kitchener.
Here are a few steps you can take to protect your family:
- Idle your car out of your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the confined space of a garage. The same applies for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t run ovens or grills as heaters. These things are safe when run right but can produce carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, because it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected appropriately.
- Confirm gas appliances are operating accurately, including your heating system. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe comfort by requesting regular furnace maintenance with Hammond Home Services by Enercare.