What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?

Prevention is the most important place to start. Doing correct safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in Kitchener.

Here are a few steps you can take to protect your family:

  • Idle your car out of your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the confined space of a garage. The same applies for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
  • Don’t run ovens or grills as heaters. These things are safe when run right but can produce carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in little spaces.
  • Don’t run a gas generator indoors, because it creates fumes.
  • Have your chimney inspected by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected appropriately.
  • Confirm gas appliances are operating accurately, including your heating system. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe comfort by requesting regular furnace maintenance with Hammond Plumbing & Heating.